FAQ—Police Department

What number do I call when it is not an emergency?

You should call the Dispatch Center at 330-832-9811 to report any suspicious activity, incidents, crimes or accidents of a non-emergency nature. 9-1-1 should be used for emergencies only.

For the Records and Administrative sections of the police department, you can call 330-830-1735.

How do I get a copy of a police report (crime or accident)?

You can obtain a copy of a police report anytime between 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday through Friday or mail in a written request. You need to call Records, in advance, to make sure the report is ready for release and to find out the exact cost of the report. Reports cost five cents per printed page.

If you choose to send in a request, please check the Records Office page for current charges.

Written requests can be mailed to: Massillon Police Department, Attn: Records, 2 James Duncan Pl SE, Massillon, OH 44646

You can view accident reports online at Accident Report Search.

What is the process to apply for a job within the police department?

You can access the City’s Web site at www.MassillonOhio.gov and select the “Careers” link located at the top of the page. That link will direct you to a listing of positions and directions on how to apply for any City of Massillon positions available. You also can contact Civil Service at (330) 830-1763 for information as well.

How can I get fingerprinted for work or license certification?

Massillon Police no longer provides fingerprinting services. You can look up a provider using the Ohio Attorney General Web site. Look up a provider.

When will my report be ready (for release)?

For accident reports, Officers have anywhere from one-to-five work days to turn in the initial accident report for public release.

For crime-related reports/incidents, there currently is no time limit on turning the report in for release. Once the report is turned in, the initial report may be available for release but any investigative documents may not be released until a “closed” or “inactive” status is placed on the case.

Can Records fax a copy of my report to me?

No. Records does not fax reports as payment must be received prior to its release. You must come in or send in a written request for a copy of your report.

How do I put my house on the vacation watch?

Visit MassillonOhio.gov/police/house-watch/ or call Records anytime between 8 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday through Friday at 330-830-1735 or our Dispatch Center after regular business hours at 330-832-9811, to set up a house watch.

Why do I see police car’s running lights and sirens, go through red lights, and then all of a sudden, they turn the lights off and don’t appear to be going anywhere, and are no longer in a hurry?

In most cases if there is an emergency call, several officers are responding to the call. Officers are trained to advise the status of the call upon their arrival. The officer that you observed most likely received radio traffic to slow it down or not to respond because the situation was under control. This is information relayed by officers who arrived first to the call.

What is the curfew in Massillon?

Children 14 years of age or under will not be on any City street after 10PM Sunday through Thursday and 11PM on Friday and Saturday without their parent or guardian. Children 15-17 years of age shall not be on any City street after 10PM on school days without a parent or guardian. For ages 15-17 years of age, they must be off of the City streets before midnight on non-school days unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. When school is not in session over the summer, children ages 15-17 must be off City streets by 11PM Monday through Thursday and midnight Friday through Sunday without a parent or guardian.

Why do I see Massillon Officers apparently working at restaurants, stores, while in uniform?

Massillon Officers are allowed to work approved extra jobs. They are being paid by that entity for their service and do have full police powers.

If I want to make a complaint on an officer, what do I do?

Go to our Procedure for Registering Complaints By Citizens Page for information.

I am interested in a part-time position as a police officer, what do I do?

All Massillon Police Officers are full-time. We do not have any part-time paid positions on our department. At the present time, we do not have any Uniformed Auxiliary Officers.

I am having trouble contacting a particular police officer, what should I do?

Go to our Contact Us page and look for the appropriate supervisor information, also go to the Organizational Chart to find out who is the appropriate supervisor in the Chain of Command.

I am not happy with the service that I received, and I have spoken to the Chief of Police, now where do I go?

The City’s Safety Service Director is in charge of all Safety Forces. 330-830-1702